Yesterday Antoine got a call from MM's school telling him that Miss Beth has been fired. We are really upset.
Bright Beginnings is not a school as good as the French international school here, or the Montessori preschool (but these are half day schools), not to mention the two reputated preschools run by UVA. But we chose it over other preschools because it is very spacious, and most importantly, we really like MM's first teacher - Miss Danielle. She was the main reason for our pick. When MM became two and changed to Miss J's class. Things did not go as well and we considered transferring her to a different school. Luckily Miss Beth came and everything was okay. We were really happy with her. She was inventive and energetic. During the fall she developed a whole series of science projects with the kids - from observing, collecting, comparing leaves, nuts and insects, to tasting different fruits and comparing their skins and seeds (from apple, orange, kiwi, cantaloup, honey dew, mango, grapes, berries... I knew because I was the one bringing in fruits every week), to observing and comparing ice, water, snow, rain when the weather got cold. Her day notes were always comprehensive and detailed, and she really engaged the kids inside and outside her classroom. While other teachers stood aside and watched the kids play in the playground, she chased them around, invented games with them... She is MM's best friend, that is what MM used to say. and she is looking forward to having a birthday party (not until June) with all her school friends and Miss Beth (which she never had before because we were always out of the country during her birthday).
So we are not in the best school, but we got lucky that MM has such good teachers. I am very aware of that luck. The night before MM started school again after taking a leave for a month, I had a nightmare that we arrived at school the next mornignt just to find out that Miss Beth was fried.
I called to complain about the firing yesterday, with no specific replies from the director who fried her, of course, other than the very diplomatic "yes we understand your frustration but this is confidential". I feel particular guilty because yesterday morning, before she got fried, Miss Beth told me she got into trouble because they found out a bottle of cough syrup in MM's lunch bag. I put it there because I gave MM a spoon of syrup that morning to clam down her coughing. I did not say anything to Miss Beth because I did not know that it was necessary.
The other parents are frustrated too. But it seems like there is no much we can do other than withdrawing our kids. I am also particularly upset because they made Miss Beth leave so suddenly that she did not even say good bye to the kids. MM has an extended family that comes and goes (she got to see them very intensively for a month, then not at all for half an year or even longer), so I really want school to be a stable environment for her. I don't like people around her disappearing suddenly without a trace, without a good bye.
This morning at drop off time, the new teacher (usually there is a warm up period for the new teacher and the kids, they got to know each other when the old teacher is still there. But this time, it is a new teacher who has never been in this school before) came up to introduce herself and MM gave her a smile after some hesitation. Then she settled herself down at a play table, and said to herself quietly: Miss Beth will be here soon. I told her Miss Beth won't be there today. She looked disappointed and puzzled, and looked out to the window for a while. I told her the Miss Erin (the new teacher) would be nice to her and all her friends are still there. She gave me a weak smile and I hugged her good bye.
1 comment:
that's really sad. I can't think of anything that bad that they can't allow her teacher to say goodbye... Give MM hugs from us and when you move to Chicago, we will come and visit a lot more often.
Post a Comment