Friday, May 4, 2012

The greenwood commune set off for Saugatuck, Michigan

After spending so much time at each other's apartment and making noise at the courtyard, the greenwood commune decided to take school administrator Teresa Cxxk's advice and head out to a state park. The destination is Saugatuck, Michigan, an artsy little town that was hosting a tulip festival this weekend (although we would not see a single one of them due to an early bloom this year). Over the past week there has been some uncertainty about the Bohnenkims' participation and indecision about which house to rent, but at noon on Friday we were all packed and ready to go.

So, first things first, I was the one who drove us from Hyde Park Chicago to Saugatuck Michigan. Though it has to be taken into account that I had Keven as my co-pilot and, more importantly, as the person I believe who has the power to save us from any kind of wreckage that I might cause (on a general basis, I hold such opinion to whoever sitting right next to me while I drive). Almost 3 hours of highway driving without any incident, I consider my trip a remarkable success. Although Antoine differs in his opinion. Sitting on the backseat trying to work on his laptop (it was Friday afternoon and he had to be at work), he complained incessantly about my lane changing (well, I might have changed lane too often and, even worst, slowed down when I changed lanes), and became fixated on the point that I exited highway and arrived at a ramp at 70m per hour (instead of 35m). I thought that slowing down from 80 to 35 mile in 2 seconds seemed rather risky and thus did not slow down fast enough. Granted, this could have been a fatal error but we escaped the great danger unscratched. And, while I recognize that I suck as a driver, Antoine also sucks as a passenger!

Here is at the moment of arrival, the kids exploring the back of our rental home for the weekend.  

while the men left for hunting (at the local grocery store), we organized the kids and headed down to the beach. Walking in a line is very important you see!

encountering the vast ocean, or, the great lake Michigan..

it was cold and misty, but the kids knew no fear. they could not wait to take off their shirts and get close to the water.

 
 
 
 
 
 

Back to the house, the kids took a hot bath and the adults started preparing for dinner.

chef Mike at work

sliding down the stairs

preparing dinner 

while drinking Martini and snacking
 

the kids ate first
 

moving them to the movie-watching section of the room

then adults ate. poor Antoine was sitting at back porch trying to finish some last minute work. fortunately it was done rather quickly and he could then join us for the rest of the meal, and, no more work during the weekend.

bedtime stories
 

the last story is from "Frog and Toad", with the light dimmed and everyone ready to fall asleep.
They were very excited with the idea of sleeping in the same room. and all the excitement made falling asleep much more difficult. Lukas opted out as soon as the story ended, preferring to sleep in his parents' room. Oscar was the first one falling asleep, while Avi kept asking what was the surprise awaiting next morning if she happened to be the first one asleep. Ming Ming, after struggling a little bit, preferred to sleep on the other airbed on the floor (Lucas' bed).
A nice hot tub brought the day to a perfect end.
Although for some, the night did not quite end there. Anne and I slept very lightly, worried that our children would wake up crying and wake everyone up as a result. Lily did an amazing job and slept with the girls until early morning (and then Anne came to bring her to their bed). Ming Ming woke up once, but refused to come to our bed, she determinately wanted the sleepover and to wake up with everyone in the same room. It took her a long time to go back to sleep and thus less sleep for me as well. But, I am not complaining here; she woke up the next morning with Avi, all smiles.

No comments: